Friday, November 6, 2009

TV Horror Hosts

From the 1960s through the 1980s nearly every city had one - a local actor who became a TV movie horror host.  We had several in Detroit, but the one I remember best is the great Sir Graves Ghastly aka Lawson Deming.  He made watching bad B horror movies fun long before it became popular.  The segments he did while hosting movies were comic brilliance. 


In 1999, I did an Internet search for Sir Graves.  There was little to find, but I found an obscure reference that he had retired to Ohio.  Eventually I found his address and sent him a letter thanking him for being such a great part of my years growing up in Michigan.  For me, he made it Halloween year-round.  I asked him to sign a photo that I had enclosed.  He replied with a very kind letter, wishing that he had his own website as I had, and enclosed two GREAT photos for me as seen below. 


Thank you Sir Graves!












No comments: